Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bacteria: the only culture some people have

Pocatello is pretty cool. I must say that it is actually a very pretty place. If I wasn't going to BYU-I I might attend ISU. They have an awesome microbiology program.

I started my first real research day here. I learned how to use a micropipetter--which is a device that sucks up stuff so you can put it in little test tubes. I also learned how to make the stuff on the dishes that becteria like to eat. It is easier than mixing a solution in chemistry! I also learned how to dilute bacteria samples and put them onto dishes so that they can grow big and strong and have bacteria families of their own :)

So it was mostly preliminary stuff but soon I will be doing research on bacteria that are very radiation resistant. Dr. De Veaux, a microbiology professor at ISU, and her team discovered the most radiation resistant bacteria ever known. We will be trying to figure out exactly why it is so radiation resistant, and also if there is a way to make other things radiation resistant. Pretty cool huh? It makes me kinda want to switch my major to microbiology. Instead I might just have to engineer better lab equipment for microbiologists.

All in all it was a very brain-rocking day. I learned a lot, and I finally got internet access!

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for internet access! I bet Mr. Rogers would be proud, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, your title officially made me REALLY laugh out loud. I totally thought that it was Ben's blog for a second, because that's the kind of title's he's prone to, and then when I actually looked at your page, it was you! lol

    I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. It sounds a little *too* brain-rocking to me! =Þ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're having fun and it sounds interesting too. Pocatello is really pretty. While you're playing with all your new friends; try not to bring any home. LOL

    ReplyDelete